The CEMFAW (Control of Electromagnetic Fields at Work) regulations require all employers to protect their workers from EMF workplace exposure. These regulations also have companies eliminating sources of EMF workplace exposure, as per magnetic field safety regulations.
EMF protection for workers became a duty of the employers themselves, too. This way, they are taking care of health and safety and control possible risks in the workplace. All of this was provided by the Management of Health and Safety at Work regulations in 1999. The responsibility also includes looking for all sources of the harm and finding ways to prevent any EMF workplace exposure.
What are EMFs?
Before learning and understanding the importance of EMF workplace protection, it is important to know what Electromagnetic Fields are and, hence, their effetcs.
Typically, EMF radiation occurs with the constant use of electronic devices. By defintion, the field is a result of the combination of the magnetic and electric fields. These have several forms, like static magnetic, static electric and time-varying electric. The last is a magnetic and electromagnetic radio wave that contains frequencies of up to 300 GHz. Overall, scientific research has indicated that exposure to high-level EMF can have adverse effects on the health of an individual. Because of this, the regulations can urge companies to start implementing EMF regulations in the workplace.
Recent reports have indicated that EMF workplace exposure can result in several symptoms such as headaches, depression, fatigue, and loss of libido. However, there is still no scientific evidence that links all these symptoms in relation to the exposure of EMF. In fact, the World Health Organization is also evaluating the possible effects of EMF in relation to pregnancy, eye problems such as cataract, cancer, and hypersensitivity. With the rampant use of EMF-triggering devices, the organization is doing research to find evidence for the longterm EMF effects.
The CEMFAW Regulations 2016
The Control of Electromagnetic Fields at Work Regulation entered into force in 2016. The regulations lay down the minimum requirements to protect all employees from EMF dangers. These regulations compare the employees’ EMF workplace exposure with the Action Level and Exposure Limit Values. As a result, these safety regulations have put real guidelines for employers to follow to protect.
CEMFAW Regulations on EMF Workplace Exposure
- The employers will be the ones to evaluate the limitations of EMF exposure.
- Employers must also make sure the exposure is below the exposure limit values. This, of course, goes in accordance with the company’s provisions.
- If an employee’s exposure is above the ELV, the company must take action immediately.
- Additionally, employers must find ways to engage the company in following the exposure limits.
- Next, the company must determine the exposure risks and find ways to eliminate or even minimize them.
- Then, the company must enforce EMF protection for vulnerable workers. Such are expecting mothers and employees wearing medical devices.
- The must company provide information dissemination and training on the risks of EMF exposure in workers. This also includes the details of the company’s related actions. The information should be available to all members including safety representatives of the company.
- Finally, the company must also provide a medical examination or health surveillance for all employees.
The magnetic field safety regulations contain a schedule to introduce the exposure limitation required by the company. Simultaneously, the company will also estimate the possible effects of EMF. Additionally, the regulations will provide details of the required safety conditions to be met. Therefore, the adoption of the CEMFAW regulations is a unanimous decision of the company’s and workers’ behalf.
BESTSELLER E-BOOK “The Biggest 4 Medical Conditions Generated by Electromagnetic Radiation” Click here to start the download